Tuesday, September 27, 2011

[BC] UC prompt #2

An accomplishment that I am very proud of is when I received recognition from the board of the City of Hope charity. It was an acknowledgement of my contributions and hard work to the charity. Although it was simple and small it still meant a lot to me because I have put in so much time and effort into the charity. I have been volunteering for City of Hope for six years and I plan on continuing to be involved as much as possible. I originally started out just participating in the Walk for Hope Fundraiser which is a 5K walk around part of San Francisco and then eventually became a volunteer and helped set up for the walk and the other annual events.
I am so involved in the charity because many of the women in my family have had breast cancer and so I felt it was important that I help in any way I could for the charity. The women in my family were able to beat their cancer, but so many unfortunate people succumb to cancer because of the lack of a cure to cancer. The charity raises money for the City of Hope cancer treatment, research, prevention, and education facility near Los Angeles. For the last one hundred years the City of Hope hospital has been bringing the world closer and closer to a cure to cancer. I have no doubt that they will continue to make great strides in cancer prevention, treatments, and cures with their innovative research.
It is really important to me that I am involved in charities because I feel that it is so imperative that people give back to their community and to help others in need. I believe that the City of Hope charity is important because cancer is something that so many people are going to have to face and hopefully are able to overcome. With all the research that is financed by the charity the possibility of better treatments and even a cure is all the more possible.
At the Walk for Hope I got the chance to meet with some of the volunteers and participants that were currently battling cancer and it was a very eye opening experience. They were so positive and upbeat and were very open to discussing their experience with cancer. They were so inspirational and I feel very fortunate to have met them. Talking to them made me want to become even more involved in the City of Hope charity. Participating in the charity events helps make me a better person because it makes me more compassionate and more aware of the people around me and what they are going through. This accomplishment makes me proud because it is nice to know that I am doing my part to try to help find a cure for cancer, even though it seems to be small and insignificant. It also makes me proud to be a part of something that is so important and to know that so many others are doing the same.

No comments:

Post a Comment